Friday, May 14, 2004

Tom climbing



This is a picture of my son Tom climbing in South Africa. He was on his gap year between school and university. He got into some incredible scrapes whilst away.

Needless to say this photograph isn't by me. I will find the source and credit it here as soon as possible.

(Later: I've found a link - http://www.lasportiva.com/ImagesStorico/fotovisitatori/Nelson1.jpg but Google no longer seems to be able to find the index page that gives the name of the photographer. I'll keep looking though.)

During Tom's second year at university it soon became apparent that he had become very ill. He was later diagnosed with schizophrenia. He has been ill now for over four years. He is currently detained under section 3 of the Mental Health Act and is in a secure ward at a High Dependency Unit in a private psychiatric hospital.

I have a different weblog that describes all of this part of our lives. If such issues are live for you and you might be interested in reading the other weblog do email me for details.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope he will get throug this.

Best regardes,

Unnar Helgason

11:18 pm  
Blogger Mike said...

Thanks.

We've had quite an adventure recently with Tom - details at:
www.adventureinfrance.blogspot.com

Sadly Tom has become poorly again and is now in a French hospital in a psychiatric ward. We hope to return to the UK very soon.

12:17 pm  
Blogger Mike said...

The photograqph was taken by Nelson Martin Lubbock

6:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope he is alright, and the picture is
very impressive, as a climber myself i envy Tom

Best regards
Danerum

4:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home